I work at Tanner Clinic as a medical assistant. Some medical assistants were able to go to the recent convention in Park City. I was unable to attend for various reasons. There was a speaker there everyone was talking about the next day. A doctor had gone to Haiti on a medical mission and was sharing his story. I cannot do his story justice as I was not there but I did get the basics of it. The doctor served and treated what and who he could. He had a picture slide show of all the kids. Some lived and some died. During this speach he talked about the mass spreading of diahrrea among the kids. They were sick and dehydrated. To make this situation worse they have no diapers for these babies. Most of us hate when we have to change a diaper of this sort let alone not have one at all. This is a hygenic problem. This doctor went on to say how these people would cut up lovely blankets and quilts to use as diapers. There is so much time spent in making some of those lovely blanket just for them to get cut up and used in another manner. This doctor pleaded with everyone that if we were to send anything or make anything to please make these poor kids diapers.



Some have offered disposable and I thought of those too, but then if they can't dispose of their dead and have massive piles of cement from fallen buildings, how are they supposed to dispose of the disposable diapers. Besides they are used once and they are done. This is only a temporary fix and could create a larger problem.



Again I wasn't even at this meeting but as I heard about it from several co-workers and I was shocked as a mother and a medical personal. I wanted to do something. So this is what I have done. I have found easy diaper instructions to follow and I am posting them for those that would like to help at home.



In June we Sent 67+ diapers. We will be needing the next batch by July 24th. Then another is scheduled for Oct 1st


You can contact me at
BrittanyBG@live.com



Some Questions

1. What do we need most?

Diaper pins, money, and coupons for fabric. (a 50% off coupon could save me $50 since I am making large purchases)


2. Why contoured and harder instead of square?

We can get more contoured out of a yard than the traditional square. If you prefer to make square that is still good. I will ship those too. They don't have to be done this way. This blog is just a history and suggestions to make things easier. NOT RULES.


3. How can we get supplies and diapers to you (Brittany)?

The easiest for me is if they can be dropped off at any Tanner Clinic then they can be carried over to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I own the website http://clothbaby.org and just read about your project and I love it. I would love to promote it.
    I do have a couple of questions:
    How can Haitians wash these diapers?
    Would it still be sanitary, since they mostly can not boil them or wash them in hot water/ with detergent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how they are washing them. They are already using blankets and quilts so they must have some system of doing things and also I heard the Tide truck was there and helping. My goal is to save the blankets and help contain the diarrhea to help stop the spread of the disease. Some have mentioned sending diaper pails and such but that is a whole other ball game. We are trying to send enough for about 10 a baby so they can be washed and dried properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks that is wonderful! I already made 5 and there are more to come. I will contact you again before your deadline in October to send them out :)

    ReplyDelete